My name is Ron Drescher. I’m an attorney practicing
bankruptcy and creditor’s rights in Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Today
I want to answer the question, you know, I’m trying to get a short sale through or some
other relief from the bank but I just can’t get them to pay attention to me. Is there
anything that I can do in bankruptcy? Well, frequently the answer to that question is
yes, there are some things you can do. You can, for example, file a motion in Chapter�13
to sell your property free and clear of the bank’s lien and security interest to your
proposed buyer. That’s a very powerful feature that you have in a bankruptcy case. If you
want to do that, you have to file a motion for approval of that sale and then serve the
bank or the other secured creditor really by regular mail. Then there will be a court
date and the judge is going to consider whether you satisfy the requirements for selling this
property. If the bank doesn’t answer, the court has the ability to approve your short
sale even though the bank hasn’t answered or otherwise appeared in the case. So frequently
banks do appear because they don’t want to lose their rights, and that’s when you’ll
get a chance to have a meaningful discussion with them because they’ll have to go through
the trouble of hiring a lawyer and defend themselves in the bankruptcy. My name is Ron
Drescher. I’m an attorney practicing bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, and if you have a question
about whether or not you can do a short sale with help from the bankruptcy court, please
pick up the phone and call me. I would love to hear from you.