hi there Bridget makai here I’m an
estate planning attorney and elder LAN attorney in Petaluma California and
today I want to talk to you about a question I get somewhat often and I got
one got it most recently and that is when someone asks how they can they’re
the successor trustees to a trust so let’s just give an example of a parent
created a trust named a child as a successor trustee and the child as the
successor trustee wants to take over the trust how do they do that
there are several circumstances in which they do that clearly the most common one
is the person the parent dies and then they are the trustee but the question I
had was or that was given to me was when my parent is incapacitated and they’re
not functioning financially anymore how do I take over what gives me the
authority to do that and the easiest answer is that it’s in the trust so if
you are a successor trustee and your parent or the person that you that
created the trust and named you as that is no longer functioning as a trustee
and can’t manage their affairs you need to get their trust go to an experienced
attorney find out what the process is for you to take over as trustee and in
fact that actually is your obligation as a successor trustee to do once you’ve
been named in a document so if you have any further questions about this or you
find yourself in this situation seek out an experienced estate planning attorney
and they can help you you