Hello. This video is to help you with filling
in our application form AP1, which is one of the most common form you need
to use when you’re dealing with us. It’s used for a lot of different types of
application to change the register. I’m not going to try and cover all of these, only how to complete the form generally. Depending on the type application that you’re going to make, you might need to refer to some of the other
guidance that we have on our website. So this video is only going to help you with
filling in the routine parts of the form. If you need help on what information to put
in, you will need to seek legal advice. If you decide to employ a solicitor they may
be able to lodge your application electronically. This is quicker and more secure. You must use this form if you want to make
an application to change something on the register and here are some examples: the change of
ownership; you might want to add a partner’s name or you might want to take someone’s name off or you might just want to change the actual
names on the register, perhaps due to the fact that you’ve got married
and your name is changed or you’ve paid off your mortgage and you want
to remove it from the register or perhaps an owner has died and you want
to register the person who has inherited the property known as the beneficiary as the new owner. If you want us to make a note in your register
of the death of one of the joint owners you can fill in our form DJP. In all other cases you must fill in form AP1
and send it to us together with any documents supporting the
application. Sometimes though, particularly if there
is a mortgage involved, your lender may insist that you use a solicitor
to deal with your application you won’t be able to lodge it yourself. You can download any of our forms from our
website. When you send us an AP1, there isn’t usually a need to send a covering
letter as well, but if there’s something you want to explain
or clarify that isn’t covered in the form, you can do
so. I will now take you through how to fill out
the form AP1 PANEL 1 here you put down the local authority which
serves your property; so this will be the county borough, the unitary
authority, the district council, or the London Borough that you pay your council
tax to. PANEL 2: here you put in the title number of the property. When we register a property it’s given a unique
Land Registry reference number which is a bit like a car registration number. We call it a title number and this ensures that it can’t be confused
with other land and other properties. It’s shown at the top the first page of
the title register and it’s also on the title plan. When you write to us it’s important to give
us the title number. This will help us find the relevant file or
documents quickly and then we will know that we’re dealing with
the right property. If you’re the owner of the property you might have a note of the title number
in the papers that your solicitor sent you when you bought
it. If you’re not to the owner or you don’t know
the title number, have a look at our website for how you can
get this information from us. PANEl 3 – the application effects: most straightforward applications will affect
the whole of your property so just tick the first box. PANEL 4 – application priority and fees: here’s where you list the applications that
you’re making to us, so for example transfer; change of name. You have to list each application separately
using one line for each application. In the example that we’re going to use in
this video, we going to fill in the form for an application
where Mrs Smith is adding her husband’s name to the ownership,
but he isn’t paying her any money for it. She also doesn’t have a mortgage. So we put in the panel ‘transfer by way of
gift’. If, however, you’re buying a property for
money and you’re applying to register the transfer, you’ll need to put how much is being paid
for it in this panel. In our example, as the transfer
is not for money, we fill it in with how much the property is
worth based on today’s current market value. for the purpose if this video we will say
the value is £450,000. If you are sending in an application where
the fee isn’t based on any price paid or value, just leave that part blank. Information about the correct fee to pay for
the application can be found on our website. So to go back to our example of Mrs Smith, she’s adding her husband’s name to the ownership. They intend to hold the shares in the property
equally, ie. 50/50, because no money is changing hands the fee is payable under scale two of our
current fee order. The fees are calculated by taking the full
market value of the property and dividing it by the number of shares in
the property. So in our example, there are two shares: one each for Mr and Mrs Smith. As the property is worth £450,000, each share is worth £225,000, so this is what our fee should be based on. You could also fill in the price paid value
column with the value of the share – £225,000 so long as you make it clear that it is a
share and not the full market value. This is so we can check that you have paid
the right fee. If there was a mortgage on the Property, Mrs Smith would need her lender’s consent
to transfer it and they would insist probably that she use
a solicitor. In this case the fees will be based on the
value of the land – £450,000 less whatever money is still owing on the
mortgage – let’s say £100,000, which equals £350,000,
divided by the two shares, that equals £175,000, so that is what the fee would be based on. When you’ve calculated what you need to base
the fee on, fill in the third column with the fee that
you’re going to pay. If there’s more than one person taking a share,
then to work out what to base the fee on: divide the value by however many shares there
are. You need to put an X in the box for payment
by cheque or postal order the other option on that form that you can
see is for those who have an account with us. You need to make your check payable to ‘Land
Registry’ PANEL 5 – documents lodged: Here is where you list the documents that
you’re sending into us with your application. Filling in the AP1 by itself won’t change
the register The legal documents you send in with it to
support your application, are what we use to change the register For e.g if you are going to transfer property,
you would need to fill in and execute a form TR1 to actually transfer the property TR1 to actually transfer the property If you’re sending in original and official
certified copies, you must list them Separately. If you send in a certified copy of an original
document, we will return the original to you. If you don’t supply a certified copy, we will
keep the original document and after that we will send all documents
for scanning and then they will be destroyed, so it’s very very important if you want the
document returned to you that you provide a certified copy. PANEL 6 – applicant: here you write the name or names of the people
who are actually applying to change the register, so in our example of Mr and Mrs Smith, it’s the owner and her husband. This is for companies who want to change something
in the register so for the purpose of this example you can
ignore those. PANEL 7 – application lodged by: Ignore the first part to the panel because
this is for our business customers who have accounts with us. In the rest of the panel, fill in the names
and the addresses of the people sending us the application. The address you give us is the one that we
will use if we need to contact you, and to which we will return any documents
that we need to send back to you. If you give us your email address, we will
use that if possible if we need to correspond with you. You can also give us your telephone number. PANEL 8 – third party notification: You only need to fill in this panel if you
want us to let someone else know that we’ve completed the application. PANEL 9 – address for service: Here you need to put an X in the appropriate
box. In this example, Mr and Mrs Smith live at
the property so they would put an X in the first box. Each owner of a registered property can give
up to three addresses, one of which must be a postal address but
not necessarily in the UK. The other addresses can be any combination
of postal addresses or email addresses. In this example the owners also want to put
their email addresses on the register. It’s very important that your address in the
register is up-to-date. We may have to contact you and if we don’t
have an up-to-date address you may not receive important letters
and notices from us. This is particularly important if you don’t
live at the property that you own, so for example if you’re a landlord renting
out your property. PANEL 10 – new charges: you don’t need to fill this panel in unless
you are registering a new mortgage and if you are, in most cases mortgage companies would insist
that you use a solicitor to do it. PANEL 11 – disclosing overriding interests: you only need to put an X in this box if there are any interests that affect the
property such as leases granted for one to seven years, manorial rights, chancel repairs. There are lots of other categories of overriding
interests. It’s a very complex area of law which we can’t
cover in this video, so if you are unsure whether you need to fill
this box in you can look at the information on our website
or take legal advice. In the majority of cases you won’t have to
fill this panel in but if you do, you will also need to complete and send us
form DI. PANEL 12 – certificate of identity: when solicitors send in applications, we rely
on steps that they have taken to verify their client’s identity. these checks help reduce the risk of property
fraud. As you are not a solicitor you would put an
X in the second box and then go straight to panel 14. PANEL 14 – where the application is sent
to Land Registry by someone who is not a solicitor: if you’re sending in a transfer lease or mortgage, you have to write the full names of the people
involved in the transaction in that first column. so in our example Jane Emily Smith is transferring
the property, so she is the transferor. If a solicitor had acted for her, the solicitor’s
name, address and reference should go in the second column. As she didn’t have a solicitor in our example
you would write none here. Jane Emily Smith and James Ian Smith are
going to be joint owners so they are the transferees. Again they didn’t have a solicitor, so write
‘none’ in the second column. you only need to fill in this panel if you’ve
paid off your mortgage and you want to remove it from the register
and you’re sending us form DS1 or DS3 with your application. Complete the panels as for the first panels
I mentioned earlier. When no solicitor is acting, we need to check
the identity of parties involved in some types of property transactions to make sure that the transaction is not fraudulent. You only put an X in the first box ‘for each
applicant named in panel six is enclosed’ if the people shown as applicants in panel
6 of your form are different to any of the
people named in panel 14. You put an X in the second box if you have written ‘none’ in the second
column in any if the panels. In our example, as the people in panel 6 and
panel 14 are the same people – Mr and Mrs Smith – they only need to put
an X in the second box. Everyone mentioned in this form who is not
represented by A solicitor must verify their identity by completing An
ID1 form. You can view our video on ID1 for details
of what documentation is needed and where you can go to get it all verified. We also require evidence about identity if
you’ve inherited land or property and are being registered as the new owner
or if you or anyone else who isn’t a solicitor is lodging the application, unless you send us evidence that you are the
personal representative of the person who has died. We also need identity verification when you
change your name by deed poll, statement of truth or statutory
declaration, but not if you’ve changed your name by marriage
or civil partnership. PANEL 15: everyone mentioned in panel six should sign
and date the form as applicants. Send in your completed application along with any supporting documents and the
fee payment to the address shown.